Monday 11 January 2016

Books and Bowie



I hope your new year is off to a good start! As much as I enjoyed the leisurely holidays, I'm glad to be back to a daily routine. You may have noticed it on Instagram but I got a book at Christmas that I have hardly looked up from, Textiles of the Islamic World by John Gillow. I'm going to tell you more about it later but if you are into textiles this one won't disappoint. The motifs and details are captivating. On the side I did some rereading. I read The Hobbit by Tolkien again just for fun and I'm currently reading War and Peace. I blame BBC. Their new adaptation of Tolstoy’s classic novel made me want to revisit the characters. (For those of you who cannot watch the series, BBC's War & Peace (2015) is available for pre-order.)

I am wondering how many of you are listening to David Bowie songs today - may he rest in peace! It's hard to pick a favourite but the songs Heroes and Space Oddity are high on my list. Those of you who grew up with Bowie songs very likely have a memory to share. One of my brothers painted 'Bowie' in big capital letters on one of his bedroom walls, in black. If the curtains weren't drawn passers-by could spot it if they looked up. It only meant that I had the coolest big brother on earth!

Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare
...
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.