Friday 20 June 2014

notes à la mode 48

Actress Lupita Nyong'o photographed in Marrakech for Vogue US
Yesterday I showed you a beautiful terrace and garden on the Ain Kassimou estate in Marrakech that belongs to socialite Marella Agnelli, and today I decided to stay there. Actress Lupita Nyong'o, who won an Oscar for her role in 12 Years a Slave (2013), is on the cover of Vogue US, the July issue, and inside the magazine is an editorial that was shot by Mikael Jansson in Marrakech.

I wasn't sure whether to create a NOTES À LA MODE post or to combine these three images (my favourites from the shoot) with home décor in Moroccan style, because, honestly, I couldn't care less about the clothes Lupita appears in. Apart from the jewellery pieces by e.g. Cara Croninger, Pebble London and Jonas Studio (I'm not a jewellery person but I love statement necklaces), it were the tiles, cushions, spices and Moroccan people in the background and foreground that caught my attention.
I like the way Lupita shines in these images above without outshining the others. Director Steve McQueen told Vogue that he had seen "thousands" of actresses trying for the role in 12 Years a Slave, but when he saw the tape Lupita sent in, "[it] was like looking for a piece of glass on a sandy beach and finding a jewel … She has this aura about her."

I wish you all a wonderful weekend!
photo credit:
Mikael Jansson for Vogue US, July 2014 • Lupita Nyong'o styled by Phyllis Posnick

2 comments:

  1. Lupita definitely wears the clothes! I really love the styling of the second outfit and the necklace. But just as you say, I'm more drawn to the surroundings and the atmosphere in these shots. Beautiful words from Steve McQueen. I can't forget the intensity of Lupita's performance in 12 Years A Slave. Have a great weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is stunning to say the least. I love Morocco and I love Lupita - brilliant combo, and she does shine bright - beautiful woman. Happy weekend Lisa,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.