Friday 6 July 2012

getting things done


It is my birthday next week and my Amazon package from A is on its way. When it arrives I know that I'll be in my own world reading and I'll push everything else aside, postpone things and start feeling guilty. I don't want to feel guilty while reading my new books so, now that I'm getting older, I decided to act mature and use this day to get some things done, things I've been meaning to do since we moved. And boy, did I get things done! I was unstoppable. I even finished coating the cabinet I told you about last week. That means I can start using it this weekend and finish arranging the living room.

Do you see a weekend advice coming up? Many of us are enjoying summer and have plans for vacationing or stay-cationing. It feels so much better to be on holiday when you have crossed some things of your to-do list, whether the list is in your head or written down. You'll enjoy your holiday so much more. I remember when we lived in Antwerp there was this box of documents that I was always on my way to organise. These documents were not exactly important but I couldn't throw them away. So every day it felt like the box was staring at me, making me feel guilty. Months passed, okay more than a year passed, and the box was always there, mocking me in a way. Then one day I said to myself, that's it, I need to get this box out of my life for good. And you know what? It took me about 30 minutes to organise the documents and put them in right folders. Something that was on my mind for more than a year took me only 30 minutes to get done. That said, my weekend advice to you is: get some things done. Use the weekend to cross things off your list and out of your head for good. But don't get manic and think you have to do everything at once. Choose something that has been on that list for way too long.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND DEAR READERS AND BLOG FRIENDS

photo credit:
Jon Day for Country Homes & Interiors

11 comments:

  1. So have a nice weekend!

    I have to do a few things from my to do list!
    :-) :-(

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great piece of advice, Lisa! I sometimes look forward to the weekend to do just that, check something off my list, something I don't have time to do during the week. And I think I have other things I have postponed for much longer. Have a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, wise words, but so hard to follow through. but I will try. happy weekend to you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely advice. I am going on vacation in a week... and will definitely be crossing things off my list before I leave. Oh, such a good feeling :)

    Góða helgi elsku frænka.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very good advice. Sometimes I postpone things simply because I don't feel like doing them and later get annoyed at myself for doing that. So yes, get some music on, get things done and never think of them again, or, at least, for a while...
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your advice Lisa, it feels so good to be organised and cross things off my to-do list and I have similar projects that have been gathering dust + keep getting put off. I'm going to take your lead and get some stuff done this weekend. Enjoy your reading over the weekend, I will be doing the same! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is golden advice. I do the same with emails - leave them, waiting for proper 'Time' to dedicate to reply to them and they build up and then I just do them all and wonder why I didn't do them sooner! Silly me. Have a good weekend, Lisa. Enjoying catching up on your posts now I am back from hols! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this ... I spent last weekend collating old xmas and birthday cards and tying them up into 'years' wrapped with a ribbon and stacked in a big shoe box... call that hoarding... I call that organised! Next up is years and years and years of old photos - ha ha! What can I say I love filing, organising, check-listing, ticking off, ... LOL:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific advice, Lisa. I have found it helpful lately to put only ONE of these outstanding chores on the list for the day, instead of thinking I will do four or five. Then I actually get it done and feel much better instead of overwhelmed.

    Hope you have a super weekend!!

    – g

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful advice, Lisa. I should listen to you. Things stay on my list for far too long. And especially in the summer with running back and forth to the beach house. Happy almost birthday. Mine's coming up as well :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another July birthday girl! I hope you enjoy your celebrations.

    I wholeheartedly agree with you - getting things done not only crosses things off your to-do list but also gives you piece of mind.

    Have a great weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.