Monday 11 June 2012

french antique shop & london


I was creating this post earlier today when I got an email from hubby saying that we were going to London early tomorrow. That was quite unexpected so I'm taking a short blog break until Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I'll have time to snap a few photos in the Kensington area, where we'll be staying. When I picked up the kids during the lunch break and told them we were going they said: "Are we going to the Olympics?" The mind of children can be incredibly funny.

I have to say that I had a pretty wonderful weekend and our garage is now looking like a French antique shop. A man who works for the same company as my husband is moving to a smaller house and said he had furniture that he couldn't take with him; if we wanted we could pick up what we needed on Sunday. I wasn't expecting anything when hubby and a friend drove off in a van, but when they came back and the stuff was in the garage I just stood there absolutely stunned. Think gorgeous chandeliers, a light blue coloured settee, a rug and more. We even got a dining table, which made us rethink our plan to not have a dining room. The table is simply too beautiful not to use it and way too fancy for the kitchen. We also got a trampoline for the kids, who were jumping all day long in a state of bliss. Luckily we hadn't already bought one. There is still some more stuff that needs to be picked up and I have to admit that I'm getting quite curious to see the rest.

Because of the London trip this post changed slightly but it was my plan to say a little something about one of the books in my photo above: Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis by Greg Lawrence, which I found through LR of the Magnificent or Egregious blog. First I read the introduction and got a good feeling. Later I started reading the first chapter and I cannot say that it grabbed me so I decided to set it aside and pick it up later. When I did I really started to enjoy it (maybe I just had to get used to the style) and now I have almost finished it. The book is about the books that Jackie O edited as she worked for Viking and later for Doubleday; a book about books and the process of publishing them. In between there are wonderful anecdotes of this extraordinary woman told by the people who worked with her at these two publishing houses and the authors who had her as editor. It is a completely new side of Jackie that I didn't know much about.

Have a wonderful week!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

19 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful time in London. And how cool about the furniture -- it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing you won't have much time, but if you do, let me know and we'll try to have that tea we keep talking about!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see your new treasures!

    :-)

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I wish J would spring some fabulous surprise trip on me. Hope you had an amazing time. And all of your new goodies sound incredible! Would love to see :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having your garage look like a French antique shop must be pretty amazing. Looking forward to see your new treasures. Travel safe and have a lovely time in London.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, how exciting! An unexpected trip to London. Oh, aren't these the best? I just know all the things for your home look incredible. ;) I would love to read that book, it sounds like such an interesting read. Have a wonderful time in London! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a fabulous time in London - and an unplanned one is even more exciting! Your garage treasures sound wonderful! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. London?! How exciting, I wish I had known earlier we could have met for a coffee! Safe travels and pack a rain coat... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how FUN - enjoy, enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun...love your photo...pinning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sooooo jealousssssss! Enjoy your trip - and your fabulously described furniture! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your trip to London Lisa! All of your new furniture sounds wonderful too, what a lovey unexpected surprise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a wonderful trip Lisa!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you show us some of your "new" furniture. Have a lovely trip to London - one of my favourite cities! And thanks for the book idea - I am always on the lookout for a good read and am much preferring non-fiction to fiction these days. x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh how exciting! Please bring some lovely weather with you? Hope you have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting! Hope you have a wonderful time in London, Lisa! x

    Kate {Something Fabulous}
    http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait for your photos when you came back! Have a lovely stay there. Kensington area is one of my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting! Have a wonderful trip! I hope you find some amazing treasures! Keep us posted...xo

    Danielle : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un delizioso blog che seguo molto volentieri anche quello delle ricette
    ti lascio i miei link se vuoi passare a trovarmi
    ciao baci

    http://coolechicstylefashion.blogspot.it/
    http://coolchicstyleconfidential.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.