Wednesday 28 March 2012

antwerp walk & latte at caffènation


Yesterday we were delayed so at the last minute we decided to postpone our trip to Holland and head into Antwerp's centre instead. We had to pick up the kids at school and we didn't want to risk being stuck in traffic on the way back from Holland. A walk in the area of the Stadsschouwburg culture house and Rubenshuis museum and a double shot latte at Caffènation sounded tempting. We thought about sitting down outdoors at the Brasserie De Markt (photos above) to enjoy lunch in the fine weather but we simply weren't hungry enough.


We crossed the cosy Graanmarkt square that has a few cafés/restaurants and headed into the Schuttershofstraat street where you find all the big labels. From there we walked to Meir, which is the main shopping street. After a quick look in Massimo Dutti and Zara we went to the International Magazine Shop on Meir to browse a little.

Then it was latte time in a completely different atmosphere.


On Hopland street, which is like an extension of Schutterhofstraat, there is a café called Caffènation. (I've mentioned it on my blog before and also in my recent guest post at The Yummyblogsisters.) Their motto is One drug, one nation, one Caffènation. That's where you go to get the best coffee in the city. It would be an understatement to say that it's an unpretentious place; its design is anything but fancy. The focus is simply on the quality of the coffee and how they manage to make the latte foam so unbelievably good is a mystery to me. It's a complete latte bliss. Because red is their colour (they seem to be Cher, not Che, Guevara revolutionaries) I couldn't help myself when I saw a woman at the next table with red toe nails.

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

20 comments:

  1. looks like you had a great day :) your pics gave me the travel bug!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very cozy and lovely - wish I could see it in real life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day a the latte sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it's all about quality, and unpretensious places are the best for that. Looks like a fantatsic time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great day.. just wandering around the streets and finding a cool place for a coffee make for a fantastic day out! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics Lisa! Makes me want to go there asap:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots, Lisa! I thought you were wearing sandals on a spring day! It seams that your spring is almost a summer, lucky you! Here the weather got chilled and I was freezing in the morning.I love the bike so much and it is nothing better than enjoying a cup of coffee on a terrace :*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics...keep them coming!!

    Lisa. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a wonderful day out on the town! Caffenation is my kind of coffee shop! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dásamlegt :) Þvílíkt sumar í myndunum. Og mig langar í gott kaffi sem fæst klárlega ekki á Egilsstöðum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I like the look of Caffenation - hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact that you get to see such beauty on any given day is truly amazing to me. I know I live in a wonderful city but I rarely get to see such quaintness and beautiful architecture. I think I need to move to Europe. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pics Lisa, it looks like such a beautiful city that I would absolutely love to visit! I'm a sucker for great coffee so this place would be high on my list of places to visit xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another gorgeous bicycle shot! :) Beautiful, Lisa! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos! I love that bicycle shot. Sounds like you had such a lovely day, and I love your photography! x

    Kate {Something Fabulous}
    http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love your city tour pics Lisa, they are fantastic! Enjoy your trip to Holland :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a gorgeous day!! thanks for taking us to this beautiful street trip:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. great photos of a great place! (Iris)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for discover to me the city of Antwerp. Looks amazing. I have never been before but when I go I'll compile all your suggestions.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.