Saturday 15 October 2011

salon de thé claude


This is the café where I met my friend for lunch yesterday, the Salon de Thé Claude in the Zuid district of Antwerp, at Scheldestraat 79. Neither of us had been there before and for the first hour or so I think we were simply in a trance, taking in all the beauty. How I've managed to walk that street many times without noticing this gem is something I'll never understand (it crosses Volkstraat and standing outside you can see the Schelde Vrij monument I talked about in this post). The owner designed the place (job well done!) and the atmosphere in there is wonderful. Even though we were meeting for lunch we ordered breakfast from the menu. Of course I got my latte and we had three types of bread, one with nuts and raisins that was divine. Everything tasted so good and the service was very personal. I told them I had a blog and they gave me permission to take as many photos as I wanted to.


If you find yourself in Antwerp and you need a little bit of Paris heaven then Salon de Thé Claude is definitely the place to go to!

I'm not done with heaven. I had ordered a box of macarons to take home with me. I hardly ever order cakes or sweets at cafés as I like enjoying my own home-made stuff, but these were irresistible. First I took a photo of them and then I sat on the chaise lounge in the living room with my partner in crime – my six-year old – and we ate them all in one go. Well, I took a bite of each and he finished them. The chocolate one we shared fifty-fifty. Definitely heaven!

Have a wonderful weekend!

photo credit: Lisa Hjalt

20 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous place.on first seeing the photos i thought they were of someone's home. so cosy. love the decor. and the food sounds fab.

    enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a very cute place! :) loving the homely feel of the cafe! :) the peacock ornament is simply magnificent!

    nora

    www.norachou.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/norachou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place! That peacock is gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifes smiles when you find gemes like this in the most unexspected places. And this time right in front of your nose! Haha! ;)

    I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the most perfect spot to spend the afternoon with a friend! Now I really want to visit you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful!!! Gorgeous photos, too.

    I'm drooling over the breads. Breads and pastries are my weakness!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous place - I would sit in there all day long ;o) it looks so cosy and like a real home ;o)
    And the macarons I have yet to enjoy - have never tasted them ;o)
    Nice saturday to you Lisa ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. are you trying to make my cry? Hold on while I grab a tissue. Why oh why am I not living in Europe?? Why?????????????

    clearly I have unresolved issues.

    that cafe looks like the perfect place to spend the afternoon....and is that your bike? I love it.

    And I don't even have words for the macaroons. Only copious amounts of drool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, what a lovely corner of the earth :)
    And macrons, mmmmm!

    Hugs and a happy Sunday to you Lisa
    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  10. can you believe there are people in this world able to make such beautiful decorations? I wanna see them all. I'm always impressed by the good sense of people that create such beautiful things as this Salon is so worth seeing.

    thanks a lot for sharing.
    p.s. we also saw you in the mirror picture, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a beautiful place - fab way to spend a day - i adore macaroons - yumm x

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks lovely! Thank you so much for this suggestion. I really like Antwerp: I think it might be the best city for shopping in Belgium, and I'm planning a trip there very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh wow I can't believe you haven't discovered this before either;) What a gem indeed! Love the butterfly wallpaper and the pale blue tiles paired with the salmon pink. Definitely a place worth visiting (more than once;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a charming place, Lisa! So cosy and welcoming, a homey place away from home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Macarons tip: if you love macarons, a visit to Marcolini's is a definite must! He's got a shop next to the Bourla theatre and makes macarons with amazing flavours. My favourites are his macarons au caramel sâlé (salted caramel). They imply are to DIE for. Whenever I buy myself a box it's gone within the hour and I'm feeling very guilty :-)

    x E.

    x E.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable cafe! I will surely enjoy the place like that with friends! Oh those wall covering, furnitures, peacock, mirrors are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an incredibly beautiful place, the mirror is amazing!
    I would be visiting quite frequently I lived in Antwerp:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Lisa I am impressed. Absolutely delicious place..., so femenine. I go crazy for that mirror!! Beautiful , beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we just discovered where we're meeting! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah lovely, how nice to discover another beautiful spot in your own city! Especially when you didn't know it existed, what a great surprise.

    Thank you for all your lovely comments this week, you'll have to come and visit one day!)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.